Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 11:26:54 -0500
From:      Mark Stosberg <mark@summersault.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Any pointers for crossing the line from 2.2.8 to 3.3?

This weekend we are upgrading our FreeBSD server for our hosting firm
from 2.2.8 to 3.3 and looking for the most painless way to do this. I've
assembled some basic notes on the procedure based some documention I
found on the net (my notes are below). Are they any other pointers I
should know about? Thanks.

key upgrade stuff:

  1. Back everything up.
  2. Repeat step 1.
  3. Copy new source tree from CD into /usr/src/sys
  3.5 make kernel tweaks as needed
  4. "make upgrade".
  5. reboot.
  6. use /stand/sysinstall to install compat22

Is that guts of it? If you have tips or pointers to a reference on this,
that would be appreciated.
Thanks much,

   -mark

personal website                <    Summersault Website Design
   http://mark.stosberg.com/     >       http://www.summersault.com/