Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 1995 04:33:50 -0800
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ncc-1701-d.starfleet.gov>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   kern/861: sb16 support in 2.1 is erratic and has cosmetic defect

>Number:         861
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       sb16 support in 2.1 is erratic and has cosmetic defect
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE
>Environment:
VLB/ISA 486dx2/66 with SoundBlaster 16 Value card

	Vanilla 2.1.0-RELEASE system running on a pretty typical (well,
	maybe not) system: i486/66 with 8 MB RAM, VLB/ISA motherboard,
	Orchid Fahrenheit 1280+ VLB, Logitech mouse card, USRobotics
	Sportster 28.8 internal modem on COM1, serial/parallel/IDE
	"multi I/O card" with COM1 DISabled, COM2 ENabled, and LPT1
	ENabled; Adaptec 1542CP with 1.0 GB SCSI-2 drive (this is the
	boot drive); and yes, the IDE I/O card has a IDE drive attached
	to it -- it is NOT the boot drive, and it's disabled in BIOS,
	i use it for swapspace and other stuff I don't access when I'm in
	DOS-land.

	Oh yes, the most important: SoundBlaster 16 Value edition -- no
	ASP, no SCSI-2, no WaveBlaster daughterboard; just the sound
	card with the built-in Panasonic/Matsushita interface (not being
	used, though).

	I upgraded to the 2.1.0-RELEASE kernel.  I started with my 2.0.5
	kernel config file, and merged in any differences I found with the
	new 2.1 files (none to speak of, really).  Built a new kernel,
	and rebooted.  My sbmidi0 device no longer was found.  Yes, I had
	the address set correctly, both in the kernel config file, and the
	sound_config.h file.  Didn't really irk me, since I don't use midi.
	But, "a while" later (not really sure... and a computer reboot or
	two may have taken place during this time), suddenly my kernel
	recognized the sbmidi0 device.  But it printed the kernel message
	oddly:

sbmidi0 at 0x300 on isa
 <SoundBlaster MPU-401>

	My 2.0.5 kernel, aside from *always* succesfully detecting sbmidi0,
	printed:

sbmidi0 at 0x300 on isa
sbmidi0: <SoundBlaster MPU-401>

	(note the "sbmidi0:" before the "<SoundBlaster..."

>How-To-Repeat:

	Build a new kernel, reboot, and watch the fun.

>Fix:

	I dunno.  Use the system a bit, maybe reboot a couple times, and
	*boom!* it reappears, just like magic.