Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 14:18:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting rid of maxsockets.

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Jeff Roberson wrote:

> Would anyone be upset if I got rid of maxsockets and consequently the
> limits on the *pcb zones?  This was previously used so that the zone
> allocator could allocate items at interrupt time.  Now you can just supply
> M_NOWAIT/WAITOK and get the desired effect without a hard limit.
>
> Jeff

We still need to cap the number of sockets somehow, as it would be bad for
sockets to consume all memory.  If you want to move the socket limit to
someplace where it can be modified via a sysctl, that'd be great.  As
you're going through and UMAing everything, I think it'd be best if you
kept the limits the same for now.

Once everything's UMA'd, then we can develop new sizing parameters.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack