Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 12:08:29 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   ISDN Pri: Back to the subject please

>> Having said that, I don't want people to get the impression that this is a
>> FreeBSD vs. Ascend religious war.  This about making an ISDN solution with
>> FreeBSD.

>You'll need a Q.920/Q.921 LAPD level-2 protocol to run on the 64kb/s D
>channel to carry frame back and forth between the ISDN terminal and
>the switch.  Certainly the HDLC implementation would be done in the
>hardware interface, but there are also some higher-level X.25-like
>transport stuff going on in here, too.
>
>Then you'll need a Q.930/Q.931 level-3 protocol stack for actually
>communicating call processing events between the switch and the ISDN
>terminal.  I believe this is where you'll find a variety of different,
>switch-specific implementation differences to deal with.
>
>I think this is where the real challange is.  Once you've managed to
>get the ISDN call running, you can hack it into your existing PPP
>stack without huge differences and away you go.  That why I was
>interested in what sort of software development kits might be
>available, and the status of the drivers.  My past experience has been
>that there are no real freely available ISDN signalling stacks
>available, so either you roll your own from scratch or license it from
>someone else.

So you write one. Big f*cking deal. If you license software you lose,
cause the good stuff isnt available. It isnt any more difficult to do then
anything else, except you have to come up with the bucks for a test
bed.

Has anyone looked into existing ISDN PRI boards with embedded code?
(like ISDN systems has one). It'll cost more that SDLs board but it exists
 and has been shipping for awhile, plus i believe it comes with code and a
usable API (not sure how much of it is OS level). I've thought about it
myself but Im up to my elbows at this point.....not to bad mouth my
competitors too much but they've never written a usable protocol stack
and aren't likely to be much help in writing a driver, so the task might
be excruciating.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX