Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:51:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marc W <mwlist@lanfear.com>
To:        "Alexey V. Neyman" <avn@ns.any.ru>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:Asus A7V133

> I tried to install FreeBSD 4.2-R on a
> Asus A7V133/Athlon Thunderbird 850MHz/Fujitsu MPE3136AH (udma/66),
> and noticed the following:
> the system installs and runs smoothly, when the hard disk is attached
> secondary (Promise UDMA100/RAID0) controller. When it's at primary
> controller, it detects disk properly. But when it tries to write
partition
> data on it, it makes some tries like:
> ad0: WRITE timeout tag=0
> ata0: resetting devices .. done
> and then panics with message `going nowhere without my init'.
>
> Seems that new Asus A7V133 has broken primary IDE controller. Have
anybody
> met with something like this?

    I have an A7V133 here with a 1GHz processor on it, and have been
running FreeBSD and SuSE 7.0 on it no problems.  I have one IDE disk in
it (20GB) and one 10GB SCSI Disk on a 2940.  The only troubles I had
with the machine were related to an old ELSA GLADIAC GeForce 2GTS card,
which was a known problem.

    marc.