Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 1997 13:33:44 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        andrew@ugh.net.au
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stale NFS file handle.

On Sat, Aug 30, 1997 at 01:41:58PM +1000, andrew@ugh.net.au wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I went to type make install ona n NFS mounted partition and got the error:
>
> # make install
> make: Stale NFS file handle
>
> Anyone know hwat it means?

It means that the file system in question was unmounted and remounted
by the remote server, probably not in the same manner (i.e. a
different file system, or some such), while it remained mounted on
your machine.  The most common reason for this is that the remote
system is rebooted.  This can also happen if mountd dies on the remote
file system, but in this case you can't unmount and mount it.
Otherwise,

> I had to umount and remount the partition to get it working again...

That's the right thing to do.

Greg