Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 18:28:42 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Dieter Rothacker <didi@Xterminator.STUDFB.UniBw-Muenchen.de>
Cc:        Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

Dieter Rothacker wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Dec 1999 14:21:25 +0800 (WST), Michael Kennett wrote:
>
> >Note that wd1 is not present.  This caused a mild hickup when rebooting the
> >new kernel, since the new ata controller assigned the labels ad0 and ad1 to
> >the drives.  It was not possible to boot into multiuser mode without changin
> >the /etc/fstab file to rename the /dev/wd2* entries to /dev/ad1*. That was
> >easy to fix, however for a newbie it might cause problems.  I mention it now
    ,
> >since the upgrade from 3.x might need special handling of this case (?).
>
> You should use the kernel option
> "options	ATA_STATIC_ID"
> for such cases. At least it works for me :-)

I think this should only apply to the /dev/wd* compatability devices.  ie:
use the correct numbering for new installs onto ad*, but still support the old
spread-out naming for wd*.  This used to be more important as it required
fiddling with $root_disk_unit, but the new mountroot code has relieved the
pressure there.

Cheers,
-Peter