Date:      Tue, 05 Jun 2001 18:23:46 -0400
From:      "Jason Francis" <bsdsup@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop without Windows

>I was looking at buying a Dell Inspiron 8000, but there was no option to
>buy it without a windows os.
>So i called them instead and explained that I wanted to use the laptop
>with FreeBSD. They said that would be ok, but i would have to pay the
>same price, as with the OS.
>Is that normal?
>I know Microsoft is not giving DELL free OS licenses, and I don't want
>to support MS by buying there OS, when I'm not going to use it.
>
>\Flemming
You're going to have to buy the operating system if you want the laptop, and
Dell will *not* offer any support whatsoever if they find out you aren't
running the preinstalled operating system.  Be prepared for days of phone
support hell if your laptop stops functioning properly.  Eventually they
will replace the parts, but they'll attempt to resist.

If you do decide to buy the i8000 (nice notebook), you'll be happy to know
that everything is supported, with the exception of the winmodem.