Date:      15 Jan 2003 13:41:46 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        fischermi@t-online.de (Michael Fischer)
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question about the BSD License

fischermi@t-online.de (Michael Fischer) writes:

> But I could not found some of this information about the license. I only
> found a template:

You should study your template better.  It's quite clear about the
issues you raised.  Your best bet on the more tricky issues is
to find past discussions in mailing lists and Usenet, using
groups.google.com, starting in the *bsd* lists/groups.

> Do you have more information where I can found more?

Not specifically about BSDish licences, but you should read about the
general subject (and probably from some .de sites too).

    http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/
    http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/
    http://www.fplc.edu/TFIELD/CopySof.htm
    http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/circs/index.html
    http://www.duq.edu/Technology/copy/copylaw1.html
    http://www.x.org/xlicense.htm
    http://bs.mit.edu/pgp/mitlicen.html

/usr/src/ has examples of 4-term, 3-term, and 2-term BSDish licenses.

Consider that you're probably going to provide a license over only one
or two things: non-exclusive rights to create copies and derivatives and
to publish them.  Everything else is conditions and terms.

If you want to be generous, waive your copyrights, or use a BSDish
license.  If you want to punish closed-source developers or require
their payment in money or cross-licensing, use a copyleft/GPLish
license.  If you want to be selfish, use a closed-souce license.
These are gross simplifications, of course.

A lawyer would probably want you to have a much longer license than
BSDish licenses, even to achieve the same general effect. Consult one.