Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 06:41:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        Nathan <natefox@pacbell.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: xdsl

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Nathan wrote:

> Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 17:44:17 -0700
> From: Nathan <natefox@pacbell.net>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: xdsl
>
> Greetings
>
> Does FreeBSD currently support digital modems for DSL connections?
Yes, you will need an ethernetcard as a bridge to your
modem, the modem itself and you have to recompile your
kernel with  some NETGRAPH-/PPPoE-options.
After this you can access your modem via
# ppp
as any ordinary modem.
My ethernet-card is an AT-2500 (PCI), I cannot tell you
anything about my modem - I just received it from my
Provider and I am running FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE.
If you are a happy user of FreeBSD 5.0 you will not even
have to recompile your kernel.

Uli.