Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 18:41:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        imp@village.org
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changes to binutils (--target=alpha-freebsd)

In article <199909040016.SAA48672@harmony.village.org>,
Warner Losh  <imp@village.org> wrote:
> In message <87iu5rbkvv.fsf@redmail.netbsd.org> Chris G. Demetriou writes:
> : I've definitely used (self-built) cross-tools on my NetBSD/i386 laptop
> : to build e.g. NetBSD/alpha kernels in the past.  I seem to recall that
> : i had to tweak one or two uses of strtoul() i think it was, but other
> : than that it produced working results.
>
> I've had problems in the past getting working Alpha binaries produced
> from compilation on a i386 box.  I'd been told by several people this
> was due to the lack of support of producing 64-bit targets on 32-bit
> hosts in binutils...  Is that not true?

I don't know about binutils.  But there was a 32->64 bit cross
compilation bug for the Alphas in gcc for a long time -- up until
around the time of egcs 1.1.2.  It wasn't present in old gccs, but it
got re-introduced at some point.

Once I fixed that, I was able to cross-bootstrap Modula-3 from an i386
to an Alpha.  (Modula-3 uses the gcc back end, slightly modified.)

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron