Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 00:18:02 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        Joss Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Approximate size of the PORTS tree ?

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 01:11:03PM -0800, Joss Roots wrote:

> I was wondering what is the approximate size of the FULL ports tree,
> including distfiles and packages (after building everything)

You don't need to copy all the distfiles to your /usr/ports/distfiles
tree.  In fact, you can keep everything on CD's and have absolutely
nothing there.

> I know that the distfiles, and the unbuilt ports tree would come near
> 4 Giga bytes.

> I want to be able to test build the ENTIRE ports, and planning to buy
> a new HD for that, what is the recommended size.

Building the entire ports tree will not help you in anything, a few
rare cases like benchmarking some new compiler excluded, of course.

You only need to compile what you will actually *use* in a somewhat
frequent basis.  Otherwise, you are probably wasting both disk space
and machine cycles.

> I already have 3 HDs: 10, 5, and 5 gigs (total 20 Gigs) until now, I
> am not able to make the following co-exsist on my system ;
>
> 1- complete src build

After a complete `make buildworld' last week, my /usr/src tree is
approximately 200 Mb as shown in:

	% df -sk /usr/src
	209675  /usr/src

> 2- complete FreeBSD binary install

If that is supposed to mean the result of a `make installworld' in
/usr/src, i.e. the FreeBSD base-system, on my home system after a lot
of port installations, the entire thing is close to 1.6 Gb.  So, on
your 20 Gb you should be more than fine.

> 3- complete ports build, install, and package
> 4- full release
> 5- full cvs tree, gnats, mail-lists, docs

What do you need all this for?

> 6- other InterNIC stuff (rfcs, ietf-drafts, etc)

Not exactly related to FreeBSD but I have the entire RFC collection in
a single CD disk, along with a bunch of other stuff.  It takes 18+ Mb
but it's not that big :)

> 7- greedy /usr/local

Greed is one of the seven deadly sins.  Watch it, before it becomes too
dangerous :)))

> 8- huge web site downloads
> 9- usenet groups

You can find a lot of good news readers in FreeBSD, if Netscape News is
not enough for you.  I personally prefer Gnus the news reader of Emacs,
but that is only my personal humble preference.

> 10- decent ftp site
> 11- decent web site

Every FreeBSD base system includes an ftp server, which you can use to
share data with your friends and/or colleages.  For a web server you
can install Apache from the ports.  What exactly do you mean by
`decent' though?

> most of these stuff are there, except I could not
> test the full build of the ports.
>
> Any suggestions for the '*GOOD*' HD size to add as the 'LAST :( ' HD?

Any size greater than the current is usually a good replacement of a
hard disk.  However, with a 6 Gb disk on my home PC it has been a
rather pleasant experience FreeBSD'ing for the past 8 months without
any serious troubles.  And I'm still using only about 2.9 Gb of the
disk without being too careful about what it's installed and what not.

> and by the way, if I have a regular PC, pentium 166, with IDE drives,
> can I add more SCSI drives and make them co-exsist, is it possible,
> or is this a bad idea, or would it break something and is there
> enough irqs to do this ?

Yep, but watch it if you have both IDE and SCSI disks, because booting
from SCSI can be a bit difficult.  Some BIOSes I've worked with tend to
prefer booting from IDE if they can find it.  And this is no deficiency
of SCSI at all.  It's just a silly "feature" of the BIOSes in question.

> sorry for the verbosity, but I need more space to BREATHE.

Give yourself the space you need, by making a clean install with only
those things that you absolutely and definitely MUST have.  Then start
installing the ports you need, and keep your /usr/ports/distfiles
clean, as it tends to grow after the installation of a few programs.

Ciao.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]