Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 01:36:28 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What does "Voxware still supported in 4.0" mean exactly?

In message <38DC55BC.BA2240C2@newsguy.com> "Daniel C. Sobral" writes:
: This is a simple case of developer base. We have *one* person actively
: working on sound support, aside from japanese developers (which,
: unfortunately, are quite insular). Whatever HE spends time writing a
: driver for, that's what we support (support, as in _actively_).

Heh.  Sounds familiar :-).  Actually, the Japanese laptop developers
aren't that insular.  One does need to make efforts to learn Japanese
and those efforts will be rewarded with some of the Japanese
developers learning English.  It takes a lot of time, energy and
effort to establish ones self in the mailing lists.  It is likely
worth the efforts, but when you are only one person, and have only a
limited amount of time to spend, it does take away from the
development time.  Add to that the support load for the pccard stuff,
and I've not had much time to move things forward on the new stuff.
The big exceptions to this have been because the company I work for
told me to do work that happened to overlap into the pccard sphere
enough for me to resovlve issues surrounding it.

There are days I wish that I could be three different people.  One to
do my day job, one to handle communicating with the Japenese as well
as doing support on the existing software, and one to work on
cardbus...

Warner