Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 2004 19:32:13 +0200
From:      "P. de Boer" <pieter@thelostparadise.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Extracting symbol info out of processes at runtime

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 18:59, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> > For a little private project I'm working at, I need to find the address
> > of a function which is inside a shared library of a running process, OR
> > the base address the library is running at (in that case, I can simply
> > do a base_address+known_offset_of_function). The executable nor
> > libraries have their symbols stripped.
>
> Well, if you don't mind not doing all the code, you could use gcore + gdb
> to extract the function and library...  It may not be the most elegant
> solution, but it will work..

I'm afraid I really need to do all the code, since I want to use it for
a program which needs to set breakpoints at the functions I'm trying to
get the addresses for. I looked at the gdb sources to see if I could get
a sense of how gdb extracts the data, but couldn't get the hang of it.

Another option would be to use /proc, but that's evil..

--
Pieter