Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2013 08:38:05 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@bimajority.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fatal: cipher_init: EVP_CipherInit: set key failed for aes128-cbc [preauth]

On 7/30/2013 8:01 AM, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> Am I the only person to be seeing this log message from sshd:
>
> fatal: cipher_init: EVP_CipherInit: set key failed for aes128-cbc [preauth]

> nice not to have my logs spammed with this.  Currently running
> openssh-portable-6.2.p2_3,1, and I think it started with upgrade to
> 6.2.

There is an open PR which can be closed now at

which points to

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-head/2013-May/047921.html

Change the default in /etc/ssh/sshd_config to

UsePrivilegeSeparation yes

as it sounds like you have hardware crypto on the box and you are using
UsePrivilegeSeparation sandbox
which is broken

	---Mike

--