Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 23:26:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Subject:   Re: lastest kernel from cvs ( sh exists with signal 8 )

On 22-Jan-01 The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Peter Wemm wrote:
>
>> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>> >
>> > d'oh, did it backwards again ... buildkernel then buildworld ... let me go
>> > back and rebuild kernel and see if that is all it was in my case ...
>>
>> Argh! I wish people would stop using buildkernel! :-(  It calls config(8)
>> in such a way that buries the warning messages where people dont see.
>> config(8) is meant to be used interactively :-(
>
> well, according to /usr/src/UPDATING, that is the documented way to do
> things, or at least two out of 4 of them:

What happened is that binutils was upgraded from 2.9 to 2.10 in both -current
and -stable, and the old and new binutils weren't compatible.  So, you had to
installworld before building your kernel (which is what I did, and always do in
fact).  However, this made some people uncomfortable, so a 'buildkernel' target
was made to work around this one problem.  Then, in order to really beat it
into -stable users heads to use it for the one needed upgrade, it was declared
the end-all be-all method of upgrading a kernel when updating world.  Except
that it really isn't.