Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 2002 17:25:35 -0500
From:      Richard Morse <remorse@partners.org>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD, HylaFAX, and a Zoom USB modem...

Hi!  Does anyone have any experience setting up HylaFAX to work with a Zoom
2986L USB modem in FreeBSD?

I'm running STABLE (as of last night), with device umodem (and ucom,
although that doesn't seem to do anything) enabled in the kernel.  I can
properly see the modem -- cu will connect to /dev/umodem0 and dial out,
although I don't have any modems to try connecting to.  HylaFAX seems to be
correctly installed -- I think.  Hfaxd, faxq, and faxgetty are all running,
and faxgetty was trying to do stuff with the modem (I'm only interested in
receiving faxes), but the logs that it created kept on talking about
"training failed".  Does anyone have any ideas?

Another question is -- in the setup, it talked about using the cuaa devices
over the ttydx devices -- does this affect me, given that I'm using umodem0?
I tried to get ucom to attach itself, but I'm a bit out-of-my-league --
/dev/MAKEDEV ucom0 creates the device, but it doesn't seem to do anything
for actually making a device that is attached to umodem0 -- and I don't know
how to tell it to.

Thanks muchly for any help, suggestions, links, etc.,
Ricky Morse