Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:44:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
Cc:        Mojahedul Hoque Abul Hasanat <mojahed@citechco.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Memory Info

I've seen a lot about this lately, and I've heard it said that 'free
memory is wasted memory'.

If this is the case, does this mean FreeBSD keeps everything possible in
memory and then swaps out to VM when it needs more?  How are unnecessary
page faults and disk accesses avoided with this method?

I am a bit of a neophyte, but I am right in the middle of an 'Intro to
Operating Systems' course, and we just finished memory mgmt and virtual
memory.

On 18 Nov 1999, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>mojahed@citechco.net (Mojahedul Hoque Abul Hasanat) writes:
>
>> What is the command to show physical memory usage?  I used
>> vmstat,  but its avm and fre fields are not what I want.  I want
>> an equivalent to Linux's "free" -- if possible.
>
>This has been asked several times in the last week or so; I have no
>idea why this is popping up all of a sudden.  The answer is no, it's
>not possible.  FreeBSD's virtual memory system tries to keep nearly
>all of the memory in use, all of the time.
>
>Try the memory-use fields of top(1); that's the closest thing to what
>you want.
>
>[If former Linux users really want this so badly, maybe we should link
>FreeBSD's "free" to "top" or something like that.  The part that
>annoys me is that while "free" memory -- in the Linux command's sense
>-- is an ambiguous concept on FreeBSD, it isn't *really* that clear on
>Linux either.]
>
>Be well.

-jonathon