Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 2008 22:49:16 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        skx <listy@skxpl.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Encrypted disk on a server

> organized the server is located in an easily accessible place (actually
> outside my apartment) and I am afraid it might be stolen. It's a cheap
> old PC, so I am mostly worried about data stored on it.
>
> What is the most convenient way of securing this data (besides moving the
> machine :)? Encrypting the whole disk? How would I provide the password?

geli is a tool for this. you may encrypt whole disk or partition.

if you are not in place, configure your system so it will do minimal boot
with sshd available, then you ssh, do geli attach, type password, and run
script that fsck&mount the encrypted partition and start services
depending of it's data