Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 12:42:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        Shigeyuki Fukushima <shige@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bzip2 in src tree (Was Re: ports/16252: bsd.port.mk: Add bzip2 support for distribution patches)

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, Will Andrews wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 23, 2000 at 12:44:46AM +0900, owner-freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:
> > Truely, I wish to import bzip2 to -current src tree. :)
> > Is there a problem about some restriction for distributing bzip2?
> > # I'm sorry I don't know about that.
>
> <2 5003-0> (00-01-22 12:27:37) [will@shadow /usr/ports/archivers/bzip2]%
> cat pkg/DESCR
> This is bzip2, a advanced block-sorting file compressor.  It is
> believed to be free from any patents.
>
> WWW: http://sourceware.cygnus.com/bzip2/
>
> Nope - looks like it could be a candidate for importing to the source
> tree. However, I'm not sure everyone on current@ is going to agree,
> since we already have something for compression (gzip) that is pretty
> standard around the world.

You guys better understand, having software be legally *able* to be in the
source tree is a *very* far way from needing it in the source tree.  A
very strong case would have to be built that we cannot really do without
it.  Seeing as gzip fills the requirement with undeniably maximum
compatibility, the mere fact that bzip2 compresses smaller doesn't sound
like a good reason in of and itself.  We would not be able to get rid of
gzip anyhow (for compatibility reasons) so we'd end up having to have two
tools where one does the job well enough now.

A case would have to be built that bzip2 does something critical that
cannot be done without bzip2.  Else, it stays as a fine port.  Heck, emacs
is a fine port too, but it'll never get into the base system.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.