Date:      Wed, 02 Dec 1998 16:31:13 -0800
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: entry on "calcru: negative time"

In message <4.1.19981202153837.021c67b0@mail.plstn1.sfba.home.com>, Ludwig Pummer cleopede:
>I agree with Doug that it would be nice to shut this off. I have an early
>MediaGX system which prints this message (but with times only four-digit
>times). I don't have any programs dying on me, and the only hardware I
>added to the machine was the RAM, a 540MB IDE HD, and a 3c905 (not B).
>
>I'd really like to be able to shut off the calcru message.
>
>Having a sysctl option for it, with a warning that calcru messages indicate
>something bad, would be a good compromise, right?

I have done two different hacks for this: one is to increment a counter
and print the message, along with the count, every 100-1000-whatever
times.  The other hack I did was to use a flag and print the message
the first time only.  I'm not aware of any problems associated with
the message, but this may be only because, not knowing the exact cause
of the message, I do not know where to look.

-Greg