Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:46:00 +0100 (MET)
From:      "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <s.ohara@elsevier.nl>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recent pccard and floppy problem

        Hi,

        Another self reply - ah well.

On 12-Feb-99 Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>>         b) The driver allocation fails with EINVAL over irq allocation, if I
>> force (by hacking up allocate_driver) the right irq it all works. I haven't
>> yet

        I finally spotted the thing that had changed, the rc.pccard now loads
the pcic kld module, this seems to happen even if pcic is compiled into the
kernel. When the compiled in one spots the hardware it assigns irq 9 (I've got
the change in pcic.c around the validslots test to comment out the irq test),
when the kld module loads it assigns irq 11.

        Removing the compiled in code causes the module load to fail with an
Exec format error. Removing the attempt to load the module gets the card
recognised on insertion and the driver allocation succeeds.

        Unfortunately it still doesn't work :( I get 'ed0 device timeout' about
two seconds after the card is configured and no data flows.

        I got a CVSUP done over the weekend (by modem) and now the floppy drive
works again (that one confuses me but now it works again I'll probably never
find out why it failed).