Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:26:22 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mergemaster

Mike Meyer wrote:

> I suggested one way of doing that to the author, but never got a reply
> back. The idea was to add an option that does two things: 1) installs
> new files r/o (but not merged files); 2) if files are installed r/o,
> quietly install the new one.

	Well, I thought sure I replied to you on this one, if I didn't, I
apologize. This won't work for several reasons. First, it's too
complicated. Second, it relies on the absence of user error, which is a
really bad assumption. Third, messing with people's file permissions is
a really bad idea, as I learned recently with my mtree experiment.

> The act of editing a file should leave it r/w, thus automatically
> tagging new files.

	No, actually. There is nothing about editing a file that should change
its permissions with any reputable editor.

> And it wouldn't work for me :-(, so I haven't implemented it.

	Case closed then. :)

Doug
--
    So what I want to know is, where does the RED brick road go?