Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 07:58:21 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: faulty plex in vinum

On Tuesday,  5 June 2001 at 21:01:07 +0200, Toomas Aas wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to create a mirrored volume of two plexes using vinum
> on FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE. For creating the volume I used the
> following configfile:
>
> drive a device /dev/da0s2e
> drive b device /dev/da1s2e
> volume mirror1
>    plex org concat
>       sd length 0b drive a
>    plex org concat
>       sd length 0b drive b
>
> This created the volume, but the plex on second volume was in
> 'faulty' state. As I understand from vinum documentation, this is
> supposed to happen because I need to 'vinum init' the subdisk in
> this plex first.
>
> I did that with command 'vinum init mirror1.p1' and the
> initialization process ran. The state of mirror1.p1.s0 is now
> 'initialized', instead of 'empty' which it was right after creating
> the objects.
>
> But the plex (mirror1.p1) is still in the 'faulty' state. When I
> try to start it with command 'vinum start mirror1.p1', I get the
> error message:
> 'Can't start mirror1.p1.s0:Drive is down (5)'
>
> Does this mean that the hard disk which this plex resides on is
> physically bad?

It's indicating that the disk is inaccessible.  Take a look at
vinum(4) or http://www.vinumvm.org/how-to-debug.html and check out the
data asked for there; possibly you'll find the problem.  Otherwise
send me the data and I'll take a look.

> It's kind of hard to believe, because the vinum init command ran
> without complaining, but you never know...

Strange.  That looks like a complaint to me.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.