Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:52:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        curt@kcwc.com, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting oriented with RAID

On 19-Feb-98 Wilko Bulte wrote:

> Ach. Ultrix-11 on PDP11/34 with 2x RK05, now that's ancient ;-)

Now that is OLD :-)

> For single stream reads etc cache is pretty useless. But you want WB
> cache
> anyway to avoid RAID5 writehole pittfalls. So, e.g. data has been updated
> on disk but the corresponding parity block never made it to disk when the
> power went out.

It is worse than that.  For a single, streaming read, the cache actually
represents an overhed.  this is how you get a 2940 to perform ``better''
than a DPT 3334 :-)  On the other extreame, where the dataset is huge,
extreamly fragmented and totally random, caching losses it.  Consider a
multi-terrabyte database with a random access to 512byte blocks...
For RAID-5 a cache is almost always useful.  An HBA cache is generally more
useful on the WRITE side, thn on the READ side (which the O/S tnds to
have), but Mark is welcome to contradict me here :-)