Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 00:10:21 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DocBook conversion snapshot

Hi folks,

There's a snapshot of the DocBook version of the Handbook converted to
HTML at

    <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/%7enik/handbook/index.html>;

and sub pages. Everything up to the beginning of Chapter 16 is pretty
much how the Handbook will look when the conversion is finished (I still
need to finish off sorting out the whitespace in chapters 16+, and the
changes to chapters 1-15 won't (generally) affect the formatting).

Things I know are wrong;

  1. The entities for authors of sections aren't linked in, which is
     why most of the e-mail addresses aren't listed.

  2. Most of the examples of file contents have an extra line of white
     space after them (at least when viewed in Netscape). I know to
     fix this, but I need to finish some other stuff first.

  3. The front matter isn't present.

Apart from that, this is pretty much what it'll look like. Comments
welcome.

    <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/%7enik/handbook/handbook.html>;

is the whole Handbook as one large HTML file (~1.1MB in size), and

    <URLhttp://www.freebsd.org/%7enik/handbook/handbook.rtf>;

is the RTF version (~1.4MB in size). The formatting of the RTF version
is probably a little different to the HTML one, and is almost certainly
missing some images.

I'd be interested to see what happened if someone took this and used
it to make a PDF version.

Note that checking out a copy of doc/en/handbook/ from the repository
and typing 'make' will not yield you this output. I'm testing an
unreleased version of the modular stylesheets, and the version currently
in the ports tree won't work (I believe).

	    C.R.F. Consulting -- we're run to make me richer. . .