Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:47:28 -0800
From:      The Bear <bear@linuxbear.HIP.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   nlpt printing problems

I am trying to print to a HP Deskjet 672, and about 1/3 to 1/12 of
the way into printing a document, it begins to print out weird
characters, and ejecting paper's. Printing worked fine with
FreeBSD 2.2.x, and after upgrading to FreeBSD 3.1, printing is
terrible.

to print a file, I would use lpr -Pblah f1040sd.ps, which
passes the file through ghostscript, and then back to
lpr where it is then printed out through /dev/lpt0.

I know FreeBSD 3.1 uses nlpt, but after doing a MAKEDEV nlpt0, it
says "nlpt0 - no such device name". I am assuming that /dev/lpt0 has
to actually be using the new driver.

It detects everything fine,

	ppc0 at 0x3bc irq 7 on isa
	ppc0: Generic chipset (ECP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
	ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/16 bytes threshold
	nlpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0
	nlpt0: Interrupt-driven port

The only other diffrence is that I am using ghostscript 5.5,
but that can't make a diffrence can it?