Date:      Wed, 02 Aug 2000 21:35:14 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Errors in upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1

Oscar Ricardo Silva wrote:

> I was attempting to upgrade a computer from 4.0 to 4.1 but received errors
> running "make world".  Based on some suggestions from here, I've also tried:
>
> make buildworld
> make includes
> make installworld
>
> make buildworld
> make -k installworld
> make installworld
>
> all with the same results (error messages at end of message).
>
> Just to make sure I was doing this right I started re-reading some of the
> documentation.  I also have more than enough space available on all
> slices.  In the past, I would upgrade the source, run "make world", rebuild
> the kernel and then reboot.  So this time, I broke it down a little
> further.  I did the following:
>
> 1.  Downloaded the source (I even cleaned out the /usr/src directory as
> well as /usr/opt)
> 2.  Ran "make buildworld (this always runs without a problem)
> 3.  Rebuilt the kernel (edited kernel file, ran config, then make clean,
> make depend, make, make install)

Did you try reading /usr/src/UPDATING because you aren't succeeding
and it suggests trying the buildkernel and installkernel route. It
makes modules that you need updated. It has always worked for me after
cvsuping from 4.0-stable to 4.1-stable.

Kent

> 4.  Ran "make installworld"  (I've done this a few times, sometimes running
> "make includes" before)
>
> Each time, the process stops in the "make installworld" portion.  Here is
> the error I get:
>
> vm/vm_pager.h -> vm/vm_pager.ph
> vm/vm_param.h -> vm/vm_param.ph
> vm/vm_zone.h -> vm/vm_zone.ph
> vm/vnode_pager.h -> vm/vnode_pager.ph
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/utils/h2ph.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/utils.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/gnu.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
>
> Here is another thing I might try.  I've been able to burn a CD with the
> 4.1 ISO image.  Can I run install from the CD and have it upgrade the
> system?  I've never tried this and am not sure how it would treat the
> existing application and config files.  This may seem simple or obvious to
> many of you but I've had success using cvsup and then rebuilding that I've
> never had to use the CD except for clean installs.  The slightly funny part
> about this whole thing is that all the documentation strongly suggests that
> you have backups before you start and this IS our backup server (running
> Amanda) so we do have backups.
>
> I would really appreciate any suggestions or ideas on this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Oscar

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg