Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 21:42:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jason Godfrey <godfreja@dalamar.cs.uwec.edu>
To:        Adrian <adrianb@iinet.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XWindows Size & Creating Paritions

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Adrian wrote:

> Could you install FreeBSD with XWindows easily in a 500 meg partition?

Not sure on this one. The XWindows installation on my system takes up 76
megs (not couting KDE - a cool window manager). It can probably be done,
but I think you might be tight on space for extra programs like netscape,
etc.

Anyone know for sure?

> Also, what software can you use to create a partition without losing
> everything on your disk?

fips will take an existsing partition and split it into 2. fips can be
found at ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools/dist/fips11.zip

Be sure to read the documentation that comes with it. It contains
important information like the fact you have to defragment your disk
before you use it.

-- Jason