Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2000 20:51:29 +0800
From:      Jing-Tang Keith Jang <keith@bsdvm.jtjang.idv.tw>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Something about ports/chinese

On 11/02/00, Foxfair Hu wrote:
>   It's scheduled at my afternoon TODO list, and you all(keith and kevlo,
> keichii -- why so many Ks? :P) make it faster, thanks!

I see, thanks for committing.

>   Hmm... if outta-port is out of sync with your PR, or anyone's hot
> codes at his own computer.  I'll suggest that : We shouldn't maintain
> two different ports tree(ports/chinese && outta-port in sinica) at the
> same time.
> Especially when someone wanna commit something, but he doesn't use the
> source file from the PR's originator.

If you had seen my post on Taiwan's FreeBSD mailing list a couple of
weeks ago, you should know that I always sync outta-port with PR, and
mark the outta-port as broken after the new port has sent in.  So there
is only one version that needs to be maintained.  In netscape's case,
we're lucky because adding XFree86-aoutlibs would fix it.  But as for
linux_base, not only both PR and outta-port are outdated, it's committed
with a wrong name.  I'm not sure how to fix this, since repo-copy cle_base
to linux_base may be involved.  Also see my comment below.

> Actually I don't do "blink" commit at the normal time, but for some
> reason I don't wanna test these ports(cle_base & netscape-*) in my
> -current box. So I ask keichii to help me few hourse ago, to make sure
> these ports are fine in installation procedure.

I thought that's what jail(8) is for committers. :-)

> And no, I didn't "ignore" these PRs keith sent, it is unfair when you
> said it.

If you have glanced the linux_base PR, you would know it's not cle_base.
The PORTNAME in the Makefile is also linux_base.

>   That's why I called it "cle_base" rather then "linux_base", for the
> later case : You should make a slave port or ask repo-copy first, and
> send out your patch focus on Chinese. NOT make a new port everytime.
> I mark the name different to do so, now, can you understand what I want
> to do? :)

It's clear to me now that you didn't even read the Makefile.  If you
have either read it or do something like `make fetch`, you would immediately
know that it's impossible to make a slave port of emulators/linux_base,
since the distfiles are entirely different.  It's also impossible to do
an "add-on" port, like japanese/linux_locale, because binaries like libX11
need to be replaced to support Big5.  The only reason I'm wondering if
a repo-copy is necessary, is that the overall structure is quite similar,
just like www/netscape*, and it was indeed a modified version of marcel's
linux_base port.  Even though you thought it should be a new port, you
didn't change the PORTNAME to cle_base.  It's difficult to believe that
you have checked the PR or the source carefully.

Please, bygones, fix chinese/cle_base.  Either repo-copy(may be slower)
or move it to Attic and create a new chinese/linux_base would be fine.
--
Keep it simple and stupid.