Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:55:24 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Bernd Luevelsmeyer <bdluevel@heitec.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shell command to make tcp connection?

Bernd Luevelsmeyer <bdluevel@heitec.net> types:
> Ronald Klop wrote:
> > I'm looking for a programm to use in a shell script to make a tcp
> > connection. On another unix machine I ones used a programm called
> > mconnect, but I can't find it on the freebsd base system nor in the
> > ports collection. Is there something similar? If yes, what is the
> > name of the programm?
> Either use 'netcat' (port net/netcat), or use the portal filesystem
> ("options PORTAL" in the kernel script. I like the portal FS very much,
> it's such an elegant solution to have the network in the file system
> tree.

While I agree completely about having the network in the file system
name space, my copy of LINT says:

# NB: The NULL, PORTAL, UMAP and UNION filesystems are known to be
# buggy, and WILL panic your system if you attempt to do anything with
# them.  They are included here as an incentive for some enterprising
# soul to sit down and fix them.

Have you by chance fixed the portal file system?

	<mike