Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 19:30:44 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        mckusick@freebsd.org
Cc:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   softupdates durability enhancement?

People were complaining about crashes after softupdates giving them
truncated files after reboot.  I know from your earlier posts that
this is actually more a bug in the way editors are prone to write
out files than a real softupdates bug, I would also expect most
logging filesystems to potentially have the same problem.

One way to potentially reduce the chances of this are to more
aggressively push out softdeps when the backlog is short.  Meaning
that when the softdep clock is nearly empty you push things out
faster and as the clock fills with dependancies you begin to delay
them up until the point you are forced to begin sync'ing them.

The idea is for workstation loads where people are editing single
files you reduce the window of having the file at zero length and
thereby you protect them a bit more against stupid editors that do
unsafe/non-transactionalsafe in-place updates.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Tax deductible donations for FreeBSD: http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/