Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 19:47:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tony@dell.com (Tony Overfield)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: >64MB

> >It reports less because the BIOS lies.
>
> That's not right.  I'd like to see your patches to make
> the BIOS honest.
>
> FreeBSD simply makes the wrong BIOS call.  The particular
> BIOS call made by the boot loader is limited to 16 bits
> worth of Kilobytes.

That's what I said: the BIOS lies.

> To make matters worse, the kernel
> eventually ignores that answer in preference to the lower
> 16 bits of the actual value stored in CMOS, which is never
> better and often worse, as it truncates the most
> significant bits.

Only on machines that are anal about not indicating more than 16M
even though the bits are there for 64M for conformance with some
bogus, antiquated IBM AT hardware document.  8-|.

The problem is that the BIOS call made in the boot code should not
be in the boot code at all, not that we should increase the size of
the boot code yet again by calling the "good" BIOS call (quoted
because it exists only on newer hardware, not all hardware), and
falling back to the ignored one if it's not there.

The problem with increasing the boot code size "just a tiny bit" is
that there is *truly* no room for it (the ELF capable boot blocks
that can still boot an a.out kernel have about 12 bytes left).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.