Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 1997 23:49:08 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gary Roberts <gdr@ajax.che.curtin.edu.au>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        un_x@hotmail.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: expr failure

Hi Julian,

Julian Elischer writes:

> Gary Roberts wrote:

> > Are you sure that's not supposed to be  a=`expr $a + 1`

> if you read this with netscape,
> then it (would you believe) shows reverse ' as '
>
> e.g.
> in netscape these will be the same  ` '
> but I typed them differntly.. (duh)
>
> since I am using netscape to type this
> I don't even know if they actually got entered
> as different characters because they echo on the screen as the same.!

That would be a *really* useful feature of netscrape :-).
I don't think that this was Steve Howe's problem as his example wasn't
working as he expected.  If the ` ` had been reversed to ' ' just in
the e-mail, his script would have worked and he wouldn't have been
complaining about expr.  I perhaps should have been a bit more civil
in my response (or let it pass entirely) but I was annoyed at the
reference to `shoddy development' of FreeBSD when the reverse is
demonstrably true.

Cheers,  (from Curtin Uni in your old home town, I believe,  -- Perth)
--
Gary Roberts  (gdr@wcs.uq.edu.au) (Ph +617 3844 0400  Fax +617 3844 0444)
4th Floor, South Bank House, 234 Grey St, South Bank  QLD 4101  Australia.