Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 20:59:42 -0500
From:      Mike Jeays <jeays@statcan.ca>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: somewhat new to java questions

I get the feeling that the Java Emperor has no clothes.

The amount of code you need to write to do almost anything
in terms of a GUI implementation in Java seems to be
much larger and harder to write and understand than in
TK/TCL.  This example of a MessageBox seems quite intimidating!

Furthermore, the performance seems much worse, seen from
my perspective of FreeBSD, Java 1.1 and Swing compared with
TK/TCL 8.0.

And inter-platform compatibility, at least between Unix and
Windows, seems about equivalent.

What am I missing? (No, its not a troll.  I am genuinely puzzled.)

--
Mike Jeays : System Development Division, Statistics Canada
14-O R.H. Coats Building, Holland Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0T6