Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2014 20:53:17 -0600
From:      Joe Maloney <jpm820@gmail.com>
To:        Neel Natu <neelnatu@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kldload vmm partial lockup

Neel,
sorry it took me a day or two to get to test this.  The patch compiles =
cleanly however it fails now trying to build the vmm module.

Joe Maloney

/usr/src/sys/modules/vmm/../../amd64/vmm/vmm.c:232:7: error: implicit =
declaration of function 'ppt_avail_devices' is invalid in C99
      [-Werror,-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
                if (ppt_avail_devices() > 0)
                    ^
/usr/src/sys/modules/vmm/../../amd64/vmm/vmm.c:565:6: error: implicit =
declaration of function 'ppt_assigned_devices' is invalid in C99
      [-Werror,-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
        if (ppt_assigned_devices(vm) =3D=3D 0) {
            ^
/usr/src/sys/modules/vmm/../../amd64/vmm/vmm.c:565:6: note: did you mean =
'ppt_assign_device'?
        if (ppt_assigned_devices(vm) =3D=3D 0) {
            ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ppt_assign_device
/usr/src/sys/modules/vmm/../../amd64/vmm/io/ppt.h:46:5: note: =
'ppt_assign_device' declared here
int     ppt_assign_device(struct vm *vm, int bus, int slot, int func);
        ^
2 errors generated.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[4]: stopped in /usr/src/sys/modules/vmm
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[3]: stopped in /usr/src/sys/modules
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/src
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/src
root@jmhome-pc:/usr/src #=20

On Jan 19, 2014, at 8:43 PM, Neel Natu <neelnatu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>=20
> On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 2:21 PM, Joe Maloney <jpm820@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I=92ve been trying to get bhyve to work on a system with the =
following specs:
>>=20
>> FreeBSD 10.0 64 bit
>> ASUS P6T Deluxe
>> Intel i7 920
>>=20
>> According to what I=92ve researched my cpu should have the VT-D =
extensions.  However many users of this motherboard have complained =
about ASUS not properly supporting VT-D with Xen and something about a =
problem with tables getting corrupt due to a problem with the bios.  On =
the third link below which is the Xen wiki it even states that this =
motherboard needs a bios update which is not available to the public.
>>=20
>> https://communities.intel.com/thread/28389
>>=20
>> =
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=3D20090402224408018&SLanguage=3Den-=
us&board_id=3D1
>>=20
>> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/VTd_HowTo
>>=20
>> I am curious though if this would be what would be causing my problem =
with bhyve?  I suppose I am willing to just by a new motherboard if so.
>>=20
>> I can run kldload vmm and I see a bunch of text fly by and then =
something about uhci interrupt problem.  As soon as that happens the =
messages repeats my network drops and no keyboard input.  However the =
message repeats and it doesn=92t appear that the system has fully locked =
up otherwise.  However on another system that works I notice that =
kldload VMM does not show this information it just loads the module.
>>=20
>> Is there a way I can gather more logs somehow so that I can determine =
what text is appearing before the uhci errors?  Perhaps some kind of =
dump procedure?  Or is there a way I can confirm that freebsd can =
properly see and utilize the VT-D extensions.  VirtualBox runs fine with =
the VT extensions enabled.  I also made sure VirtualBox wasn=92t =
installed or loaded before I tried bhyve.  I=92ve tried to research for =
a week or two before posting here.