Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:39:05 -0800
From:      Jim Mock <mij@soupnazi.org>
To:        "Dax Eckenberg" <deckenberg@dweebsoft.com>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Kenneth Tucker" <kennethtucker@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: mail

On Tuesday, January 14, 2003, at 07:21  PM, Dax Eckenberg wrote:
>> Changed to  MAILSERVER=-YES-"
>>
>> % /System/Library/StartupItems/Sendmail/Sendmail start
>> Starting mail services
>> 451 4.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 93: fileclass: cannot open
>> '/etc/mail/local-host-names': Group writable directory
>>
>> Above is  the message before and after reboot
>> line 96 is as follows (ignore <--) :
>>
>> Cwlocalhost
>> # file containing names of hosts for which we receive email
>> Fw/etc/mail/local-host-names    <-- 96
>>

> try turning off group write for the /etc/mail directory
>
> # chmod g-w /etc/mail

That won't fix it.  On OS X systems, / is group writable for various
reasons.  The easiest workaround is to add this to the .mc file you use
to generate sendmail.cf:

	define(`confDONT_BLAME_SENDMAIL', `GroupWritableDirPathSafe')

There are a *ton* of web sites that cover getting sendmail on OS X to
work properly.  Search google.  Also, there's a decent article on
O'Reilly's Mac Dev Center about it.

- jim

--
jim mock <mij@{soupnazi|opendarwin}.org>               jim@FreeBSD.org