Date:      Tue, 13 May 2003 07:23:10 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        Tim Church <domino720@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Free BSD at CompUSA

Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 04:21:56PM -0400, Tim Church wrote:
>
>>Dear Webmaster,
>>
>>In the interest of avoiding any confusion, CompUSA does not sell FreeBSD
>>anymore.
>>I've had a few disappointed customers who say that your website lists us as
>>a retailer who still carries you product.  You might want to update your
>>site.
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>

> Thanks a lot for the notice!  The rest of this email is for the benefit
> of the freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org mailing list members.
>
> The obvious fix would be the attached patch, which removes CompUSA from
> the handbook/mirrors/chapter.sgml list of boxed product retailers.
> However, there is a slight problem with it: the remaining text talks
> about "several retailers", yet lists only one - Fry's :)
>
> Is anybody aware of other boxed product retailers?  For that matter, can
> anybody check whether Fry's still offer FreeBSD?  From a quick look at
> their website (and the Outpost redirect), I couldn't find anything by
> navigating the menus, although an explicit search for 'FreeBSD' brought
> up the FreeBSD Toolkit, which sounds somewhat similar to the FreeBSD
> Mall product by the same name, yet leaves me with some doubt as to its
> up-to-dateness...

I know my local Fry's still sells FreeBSD boxed, however it is an older
version.  I also believe that Best Buy was selling it last time I went
by there (6 months ago or so).

> So.. what should we do about the Retailers section of the Mirrors
> chapter?

Maybe we should get rid of it altogether, until the bsd-advocacy group
can get a list of maybe 10 or so going.  It's almost a joke to see only
2 on there.

Eric

Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching?