Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:57:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "A. Rakukin" <rakukin@mail.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X authorization

:Hi to all,
:
:Would be grateful for help or explanation. I used to think that by default
:nobody can run anything on my display. But now I revealed that it is enough
:to export DISPLAY on remote host to access my xserver. 'xhost' on the server
:(that has been accessed) says that
:
:access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
:
:and nothing more. What is the possible source of the problem?
:I have not customized any authorization mechanisms...
:I run FreeBSD 3.4.
:
:Thank you,
:Alex

    I'll bet you are using ssh.

    Your assumptions as to 'xhost' are correct.  Just setting DISPLAY on
    machine B to point to machine A will not give machine B access to
    machine A's X display.  Machine A must give machine B access, typically
    through the 'xhost' command.

    However, some programs will tunnel X sessions automatically.  ssh is
    one of these.  If you are sitting on machine A and you ssh to machine B,
    you will then be able to run X binaries on machine B and have them show
    up on machine A's display.  The X protocol will run through the
    'secure' ssh session.

    I don't know many people who do this, at least not between two local
    machines sitting on the same LAN, because running an X client through
    an encrypted ssh session tends to really slow down the client.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>