Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 2010 11:43:26 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Schedule for releases

On Dec 22, 2010, at 12:57 PM, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>=20
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Mike Karels wrote:
>=20
>> - We sometimes back-port other changes, such as TCP locking fixes that he=
lp performance.  Considering some such things for MFC would be desirable.
>=20
> Just to comment on the specifics of this one: over the cource of 6.x, 7.x,=
 and 8.x, I non-trivially improved locking in the TCP/UDP code.  Some of tho=
se changes could be backported -- others couldn't be.  Part of the reason I d=
idn't merge some changes was our increasing attempt to provide stable KPIs a=
nd KBIs for kernel modules, especially as TCP offload support in device driv=
ers became a reality.
>=20
> We're now going to hit the same issue in 9.x: I'm about to commit signific=
ant network stack locking and work distribution changes to improve TCP and U=
DP scalability, leading to multiplied performance on parallel systems.  As o=
f the interpretation of KPI/KBI compatibility we have today, these cannot be=
 MFC'd to 8.x.  I think there's a motivation to revisit our thinking on KPI/=
KBI so that we can merge them to 8.x in the future; I'll say more about this=
 on the net@ mailing list in a month or so once the changes are in 9.x and h=
ave shaken out a bit.

Even though the network stack is relatively stable, I've run in to problems b=
ackporting CPU identification fixes and filesystem fixes in 6.x and 7.x s.t.=
 I gave up because of the other dependent changes I had to pull in. Ran into=
 a similar issue with mfiutil/mfi. So it would be nice if things didn't chan=
ge so much between minor versions.

Thanks,
-Garrett=