Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2001 12:13:34 -0700
From:      "Jon O ." <jono@microshaft.org>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <MichaelNottebrock@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPSEC & TCP sequence number generation

This is very interesting, but let's make sure the test enviroment is not providing this type of result.

I tested this with:
 nmap -sT -O -v -v

Can you provide the full nmap args you are using?

The machine I nmap'ed has IPSEC turned on and running. It gave me all 9's.

Now, I'm thinking lots of these home DSL/Cable modem gateways use pathetic tcp sequence algorithms. Could it be the nmap you used got data from this device instead of your FreeBSD box? Are you using an Alcatel DSL modem or something similar that runs in *Bridge* mode?

Thanks,
Jon