Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 10:24:03 -0400
From:      Jeroen C.van Gelderen <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mike Barcroft <mike@freebsd.org>, Ernst de Haan <znerd@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: expat2 in the base system?

On Friday, Oct 4, 2002, at 06:26 US/Eastern, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> On 2002-10-03 22:22, Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>> Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org> writes:
>>> If most file formats would be XML-based (yes I know XML should not
>>> replace all file formats, but it comes a great way) then these
>>> formats would be leveraged by the fact that there are a lot of XML
>>> tools available, like XML editors and XML transformation
>>> processors (XSLT). It's easy to convert from one XML format to the
>>> other, making the generation of DocBook or XHTML documents a /lot/
>>> easier.
>>
>> I've always wondered what a Makefile would look like in XML.
>
> You'd be surprised.  There is already such a thing.  The j2ee (Java
> Beans, Enteprise Edition) already have something that works this way.
> It's called "ant", if my memory from my early 2001 work with j2ee,
> doesn't fail me.

Almost. It's indeed called Ant but has been developed under the
umbrella of the Apache Jakarta project.

-J
--
Jeroen C. van Gelderen - jeroen@vangelderen.org - +1 242 357 5115

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I
think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished,
if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."
                                       -- R. Buckminster Fuller