Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:08:47 +0200
From:      Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
To:        Doug Wilson <want_2_learn_freebsd@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: please help with pcmcia nic...

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 04:30:29PM -0700, Doug Wilson wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> I bought a 3Com Megahertz Model 3CCFE575BT 10/100 Base-TX PCMCIA nic the
> same day I bought the Power Pack.  Never have I got that stupid card to work
> with FreeBSD!

It's a cardbus card, which is only supported in -current (I use one
right now), cardbus is not supported in FreeBSD 4.x

> 1) is there a way to get this card happy with FreeBSD, or...

Only by running -current, not something I would recommend, unless you
know what you're doing.

> 2) what cards are supported by FreeBSD?  There is mention of a 3Com 3C589
> card in (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install-hw.html), but I've never
> actually found that card on the open market.

My brother use a 574 card without problems.

> When I was at the store, I was going to buy that card listed at the top, or
> a Netgear.  But I remember someone saying how it is best to buy 3Com as they
> are usually compatible.  Were they wrong?

Have a look at /etc/defaults/pccard.conf, most (all ?) the cards there
should work.

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
Private: FreeBSD committer @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)