Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:07:17 -0500
From:      "Bob Cohen" <bcohen@bpecreative.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   PnP Modem Question

Once again I'm thoroughly confused and puzzled.  I've been
trying to set up PPP access to my FreeBSD box and can't seem
to figure out how to get anything to recognize my modem.

It is a USR PnP 56k FAX/Modem.  BSD seems to recognize it on
the bus and to assign it as sio4 or siopnp (I'm not sure
which).  The next step I took was to install a terminal
program called Minicom to configure the modem to work under
UNIX.  I configured Minicom's serial device as both
/dev/sio4 and /dev/siopnp.  When I try to run minicom, I get
an error message that says "cannot open /dev/sio4: no such
file or directory, a fact verified by empirical observation.

-Shrug-

I have two com ports plus the modem, labeled sio0, sio1.  I
disabled sio1 on the I/O card and via UserConfig (and on the
card). Upon looking in UserConfig/communication devices, I
noticed that it only lists sio0 through sio3.  Does this
mean I've got to add an additional serial port somewhere?
If so, where?

Any help in solving this riddle would be most appreciated.

Bob Cohen

b.p.e.Creative			Web Design and Production
P.O. Box 192			508.384.6054
Sheldonville, MA 02093		bcohen@bpecreative.com