Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:39:29 +0000
From:      Kerberus <kerberus@inetu.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Laptop problems

--------------D7D2F4B35001DF6DCF7CC17F

I have a CTX EasyBook laptop with an AMD K6 3D 300Mhz CPU, 32mg
memory,
20x cdrom, Toshiba MK2109 MAT 2 gig disk, 2 PCMCIA slots, 2 USB
Ports,
an Infrared controller, internal modem, serial port, paralell port, and
a NeoMagic video card, did i forget anything.... those are the specs.

the hard drive is primary on the primary controller, the cdrom drive is
primary on the secondary controller, which i found quite odd....

first when booting everything is found, but there is a long pause during
its attempt trying to decipher my cdrom or cd the controller,
but it does get passed it finally after a few minits, also on the
initial install while booting with the 2.2.8-RELEASE floppy it gave the
following error and locked up solid,

atapi1.0: invalid command phase, ireason=0xd0,
status=d0<busy,ready,opdone>, error=d0

this is debug information.

I have to disable the cdrom in the bios, in order for sysinstall to run,

and install from a dos partition. so finally i get it installed and
re-enable the cdrom and boot, still long pause 2-3 minits, then finally
a login, curiosity kills me i run sysinstall ( I know better ) locked up

solid while probing for devices. Ok so how do i stop the pause, and
prevent sysinstall from locking up on the cdrom so i can actually use
the damn thing ??? and lastly since this is a laptop, i needed to patch
with the PAO patch, to enable my NETGEAR ethernet card. ( it works fine
on my other CTX ) so i know its not the card, but when it now boots it
initializes then errors out with

"/kernel: ed0: device timeout"

the Ethernet PCMCIA card is a NETGEAR FA410TX
this doesnt happen on the other laptop.... ok so im done i have four
problems

1: how can i stop this damn long pause
2: how do i prevent sysinstall probing for devices and locking up or fix

    the cdrom error
3: how can i enable my cdrom to actually work
4: get my ethernet card to stop timing out so i can use it

Thanks in Advance,

Almost Happy CTX Laptop

PS the ps/2 mouse and Xwindows actually do run on this thing nicely, but

i need either the network connectivity or a working cdrom to install any

ports .....!!!! jeeeez!! go figure.

--
OhhhNooooo

--------------D7D2F4B35001DF6DCF7CC17F

&nbsp;
and
is
its attempt trying to decipher my cdrom or cd the controller,
the
run,
up
fine