Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 22:11:23 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1014410272.750ac9@mired.org>
Cc:        bmah@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to upgrade all installed ports?

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 02:37:51PM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> I tried portupgrade, and found that I had to do more work every time I
> used it than I had to do in dealing with the occasional problems
> caused by dependency rot from pkg_version -c.

I didn't. portupgrade solves a lot of headaches. The only time I get into
trouble is when sudo is upgraded, because I always run 'portupgrade -sRa'.

> For one thing, it doesn't handle packages that don't come from the
> ports tree gracefully. Given that I've always got at least one of
> those, and sometimes two or three, that's a pain.

You can specify 'held' packages in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf; I specify =
my
'local' ports there, and never have any problems, except that they're marked
as 'being held'.

> For another, it doesn't handle the case where a dependency is missing
> and I want it that way. This happens when an port A installs
> applications 1, 2, and 3, and I want to use applications 1 and 2 but
> don't care about 3. But 3 requires a library package B that's bigger
> than everything else installed to run A put together. Worse yet,
> having B installed means that other ports will by default build with
> code that depends on it, which means I have to have the daemon part of
> B running for them to operate properly, and I don't want to do *that*,
> either. The easy solution is to just delete B and forget about
> it. Except portupgrade won't let me.

You can delete dependencies from ports if portupgrade asks you when you
run pkgdb -F; press ^D and it will delete the dependency. After that, you
can deinstall port B because A doesn't depend on it anymore.

Actually, if you just pkg_delete -f B, you can then fix up your pkgdb
using pkgdb -F and it will suggest that the dependency on B needs to be
deleted.

> Portupgrades insistence that everything be nice and tidy means that
> every time I run portupgrade, I have to deal with all these issues.
> If things could be tagged as "broken but acceptable", I'd be a lot
> happier. Better yet, if it would do the reverse of what it does now,
> and when something was "broken but acceptable" and not actually
> broken, let me know about it, that would add utility to it.

They can; check out /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf.sample (and the manpages
of course).

--Stijn

--=20
The right half of the brain controls the left half of the body.  This means
that only left handed people are in their right mind.

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR--