Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:11:28 -0700
From:      Kuzak <kuzak@kuzak.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CD-ROM server

I'm setting up a cdrom server that is running FreeBSD that I'm hoping will
replace one with identical hardware running windows...  If anyone knows
how I could accomplish the following things to make the integration easier
please let me know...

First off I'd like to have the machine boot directly to a command prompt, or
somehow automatically login as say "user", so that the client who is using
the server can issue mount and umount instructions without having to login
to the machine first.. ( security of the machine not being a concern of
course )

Second, what would be the best way to grant this, or say any user on the
machine the ability to mount and umount the cdrom drives...  sudo has been
suggested to me, but I was just wondering if there was any way to just allow
the user to use mount and stuff.. giving the use root  is acceptable, but not
prefered...

Lastly, I don't believe this is possible.. but if anyone has any ideas..
please let
me know.. The behavior of windows is somewhat prefered ( IE not locking the
cdrom drives )..  Is it possible to somehow setup a crontab'd script or
something
that would mimic that behavior so that I would not have to put a monitor or
keyboard
on the system, in otherwords the client who wants to change a cd, wouldn't
have
to issue a umount, followed by a mount command..   I would like it if somehow
the client was able to open the drive and change a cd, and say in the span
of 10
minutes or so the cd would them be accessible by the network.. If this can be
done, please let me know.. thanks..
	-Aric