Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 15:03:52 +0100
From:      Tim Priebe <tim@polytechnic.edu.na>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        chad@DCFinc.com, andrsn@ANDRSN.STANFORD.EDU, freebsd-emulators@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rpm and WordPerfect Office 2000

David Gilbert wrote:

> Chad> As I recall, David Gilbert wrote:
> >> I must say that I'm dissapointed that I can't run it.
>
> Chad> This is older hat, but I've had WordPerfect 8 running on a
> Chad> 2.2.8-STABLE system under Linux emulation since Dec, 1998.
>
> Chad> Has anyone tried to evaluate pros and cons of the various office
> Chad> suites?
>
> Chad> 1) Applixware - native
>
> Applixware is a good but somewhat immature product.  I have run it
> both under linux emulation and under native code.  While it's a good
> basic package, it tends to fall down if your needs are complex.
>
> The programability is cool.  I could see getting into it if the
> spreadsheet was a little more featureful (or maybe we just havn't
> found the features yet).  I must say that Applixware is the best
> behaved X application of its type, if that's anything to go on.

I have had good experiance with the FreeBSD version of Applixware. It is what I
am using these days, it is not perfect, but then what is? There is also a java
version which I would like to try some time, could be good for the nc's.

> Chad> 2) StarOffice - linux
>
> I must admit that I should take another look at this.  My earlier
> impression was that it was kludgy.  I don't know if it has improved.

Even with Linux you want 128MB RAM to run this. I did not really like the
earlier versions, I suppose I should try 5.2 which came with Solaris 8.

[...]

Tim.