Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 2003 11:04:02 -0800
From:      jim <jimwatts@quik.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   I 'm learning

 I got two very good responces to a question I asked here even though I
didn't really know what I wanted so. I will atempt to be more specific I
am trying to setup bsd on an old machine .aptiva IBM from 1995 32megs of
ram 133 mghtz proccessor 1.5gig maxtor hd.
  I have been running linux mandrake as a stand alone system for four
years and in the last year I have tried several others mostly linux,
however I want to try learning different ones.  I want to be able to set
them up to do the things a user wants to do.
  So far I have not been able to get freebsd to play a game surf the net
or any other aplication what so ever. I am not descouraged I have gotten
windowmaker to come up at least. I don't care what destop; gnome ,kde,
windowmaker,icewm,fwm,afterstep, I end up useing I just want to be able
to learn to have it read my  jvc digital video camera stills and do
email and surf the web.inter chat rooms and the like . If there are
freebsd aplications that are easier for someone like me to set up and
run I need to know what step to take to get bsd running the best way
possible. well on my free time that is how do i get it to dial up iv
read the pppdeamon thing and can't sortit out from the ethernet
networking which I know is simalar but I have no intreat in hitching the
machines together i just want to get the modem to dail up the internet.