Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2007 02:29:18 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <davids@webmaster.com>, <soralx@cydem.org>, <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Cc:        des@des.no, bitabyss@gmail.com, af300wsm@gmail.com
Subject:   RE: Suggestions please for what POP or IMAP servers to use

Except that I said nothing about some vast mythical "conspiracy"

But, continue.  It's facinating.

> Like any other conspiracy theory, you must interpret all the
> historical data
> according to the rules of the conspiracy. When some off-hand
> remark supports
> the conspiracy, it supports the conspiracy. When clear, documented
> statements conflict with the conspiracy, it is evidence of the
> conspiracy's
> effectiveness.
>
> If recourse to the historical record is off-limits, all that is left is
> speculation.

The historical record, like any record, is a mixture of truth and
falsehood.

> If we accept, as Ted does, that we can't trust any documentation
> to reflect
> any truth at all,

I never said that.

> we will end up concluding whatever position we started
> with. Anything that conflicts is just evidence of how well the truth we
> search for was covered up.
>
> Ted can point to *no* historical evidence or evidence of any kind
> to support
> his claim that this revenue stream was a recognized at the time
> he claims it
> was

Except I don't do that.

> or that it ever motivated anyone to do anything. He can argue that it
> should have and that it would be reasonable for it to have.
>
> The biggest counter-argument -- if Microsoft had a legitimate claim like
> this, they surely would have raised it in court when they faced the
> equivalent of a corporate death penalty.

Microsoft never faced the equivalent of a corporate death penalty.

How much do you know about anti-trust law?  Apparently nothing.

Anti-trust trials are not designed to "kill" the offending corporation.
Even the most famous recent one - the breakup of the Bell system - did
not have as it's goal the "killing" of Bell Telephone.

The trials are intended to correct an abnormal market.  An abnormal
market is one in which a monopoly has gotten all market share worth
getting.  Note that it isn't important if that happened as a result
of all customers choosing the company's products voluntarly or if
the company engineered it.

The fundamental assumption is that a monopoly hurts consumers because
the lack of competition means that according to the capitalist system,
consumers will be overcharged without competition in a market.  Overcharging
hurts consumers.  The anti-trust remedy is to break the monopoly up or
cause it to divest.  It is not to put it out of business.

"killing" Microsoft was never a goal of the anti-trust trial.  The
problem though is when it came to brass-tacks: the construction of
a remedy - the judge realized that making Microsoft divest the
applications division - ie: Microsoft Office - would not correct the
operating system monopoly.  Conversely, divesting the operating system
division would not correct the office applications monopoly.  In
other words, divestiture did not appear to be any kind of a usable
remedy.  As a result the judgement was to force MS to "open" it's
standards, ie: make it more transparent how the Windows internals
work.

That goal was largely accomplished.  However, what wasn't forseen
by the judge (understandable since the judge was an idiot) was that
MS would go ahead and open the standards, then start waving the banner
of "intellectual property infringement" about.

That is why today the SAMBA project won't let anyone work on the
samba code who has seen the Microsoft networking code.  The MS networking
code is freely available from Microsoft - you just sign a form
with them and you get it.  Then you will know all about how the SMB
implementation on Windows works.  If your a commercial software vendor
this works fine since your distributing binaries - and Microsoft cannot
show those compiled binaries to a judge and claim copyright or patent
infringement.  But if your distributing an open source implementation of
the SMB networking your screwed because Microsoft can see your code,
and they can take your code and their code to a judge, show the judge
the signed form you signed to get their code, and claim that your
infringing on their intellectual property.

So in short, the remedy of the antitrust trial was defeated after
the fact.  It is pretty obvious that Microsoft figured out all of
this before the trial, and took pains to divert attention from it
so that the judges rulings would not cover the intellectual property
aspect.  Otherwise the judge would have ruled that interfaces and
standards that were opened could NOT be patented or licensed.

> Ted has no response to this
> argument except the importance of keeping things secret.

Well you never made this arguement before.  Now that you have, I
answered it.

Ted